Syroco Closes Seed Round from Visionary Entrepreneurs and Business Angels
By raising funds from renowned entrepreneurs, Syroco affirms a tech startup DNA and strengthens its operational deployment.
Marseille, September 29, 2020 - With a €1.4m funding, Syroco is getting the means to deploy its scientific and technical laboratory to generate innovation through pioneering achievements. A startup model that is supported by visionary entrepreneurs from the tech ecosystem.
An ambitious vision
Syroco was born from the combination of complementary expertise. Its five co-founders are Alex Caizergues, world kitesurf champion and multiple holder of the world sailing speed record, Bertrand Diard, founder of French unicorn Talend and venture fund Serena Data Ventures, Florent Boutellier, serial entrepreneur in the field of data platforms, Olivier Taillard, naval architect and designer of offshore racing boats, and Yves de Montcheuil, technology marketing specialist who has supported numerous startups.
Visionary and passionate Business Angels
The Business Angels who invested into Syroco were seduced by the experience of the founders, who are embarking on an impactful entrepreneurial approach. They are applying to the industrial sector the innovation methods and the hyper-growth philosophy of technology startups. The investors combine exceptional operational excellence and possess extensive networks in branding, retail, e-commerce, technology, telco and finance which have already supported the first phase of Syroco's development.
“We are proud that renowned entrepreneurs have decided to invest in our adventure,” says Alex Caizergues. “Their commitment to Syroco is a strong sign of confidence in our promise to identify and unleash applications that will provide sustainable operating possibilities and have a positive impact on the environment.”
Among these investors:
- Anne-Laure Constanza, entrepreneur and business angel, board member of FashionTech startups, founder and CEO of Chinattitude and of the Envie de Fraise brand, sold to the MKD group: “I was particularly seduced by how ambitious and daring the Syroco team is. Pushing back the limits, stretching the envelope, all require excellence in execution and risk-taking which are intrinsic to the pioneering feats but are on par with the challenges: innovating to change the game in energy transition.”
- Bruno Derieux, lawyer specializing in business law and partner in charge of Corporate/M&A practice at Linklaters France.
- Cédric Mangaud, serial entrepreneur specializing in deep tech, artificial intelligence and connected objects, co-founder of Octonion and PIQ.
- Didier Kuhn, entrepreneur and investor, board member of startups and scale-ups including Blablacar, Chais d'Oeuvre, Tiptoque, Wavy, Legalstart and Bankin: “I am convinced that this extraordinary team of complementary talents will succeed in implementing the daring concept of 'moonshot'. It is by seeking to overcome existing limits that the startup can generate the innovation that will provide solutions for a more efficient and sustainable industry, starting with maritime transport. Let's shoot for the moon!!”
- Eric Vieillevigne, Materials Science engineer, entrepreneur and investor, founder of Voxmobili and Family & Co.
- Frédéric Plais, entrepreneur and business angel, co-founder and CEO of Platform.sh and Commerce Guys: “The founders of Syroco constitute a high-level team, well balanced between athletes, scientists and entrepreneurs, each of them recognized in their field. Together, they are in a unique position to generate breakthrough innovation, by meeting technological and sporting challenges such as those of speed on water or new foiling concepts.”
- Jean-René Alonso, entrepreneur and business angel, co-founder and CEO of Remmedia.
- Pierre Kosciusko-Morizet, entrepreneur and major business angel in the French economy, founder of PriceMinister (now Rakuten France), co-founder of the Isai fund, and investor at Doctolib, Blade/Shadow, Comet Meetings, etc.: “The Syroco project is led by an ambitious and pragmatic team, carrying strong values such as the thirst for discovery and excellence. They want to put technological excellence at the service of the energy transition, by creating a model that is sustainable for the planet, for people but also for business.”
- Pierre-Antoine Dusoulier, entrepreneur and investor in FinTech, founder and CEO of iBanFirst, former manager of Saxo Bank.
With this fundraising of 1.4 million euros, Syroco has already begun to deploy operations, assembling a research and engineering team made up of the best, starting the design of the first prototypes of its pioneering exploits, and contracting co-innovation projects with industrial partners and clients.
A Series A round, planned for the coming months, will provide fuel to accelerate these projects, finalize the technological foundation and the innovation methodology, and start research on the subsequent projects.